Who we are
Talbot is an international insurer and reinsurer operating within the Lloyd’s market through Syndicates 1183 and 2019. We have been part of AIG since 2018 and our ambition is to be AIG’s Centre of Excellence at Lloyd’s. Headquartered in London, Talbot has offices in New York and Singapore and over 300 people working across these three locations.
Get to know the business
Syndicate 1183 underwrites multiple classes of business including Political Violence/Terrorism, Marine, Energy (off-shore and on-shore), Marine and Energy Liability, Hull, Cargo and Specie, Political Risk, Property, Accident and Health, Financial Lines, Cyber, Alternative Risks, Non-Physical Cyber and Treaty Reinsurance.
Syndicate 2019 reinsures premium written by AIG’s Private Client Group, covering Homeowners, Auto, General Specie and other products.
About the role
What you need to know:
- To underwrite risks in accordance with Talbot’s underwriting philosophy and within own authority limits.
- To support and assist Class Underwriters in the Political Violence team.
- To assist the Class Underwriter in delivering strategy and business plans.
- To assist the Class Underwriter to ensure all underwriters underwrite risks in accordance with the Company’s agreed appetite, authorities and processes.
- To assist in managing the overall Political Violence portfolio.
- To provide professional, prompt service to brokers and clients.
- To comply with the terms of personal underwriting authority, in particular requirements to obtain and evidence post-bind countersignature.
- To assist the Class Underwriter in ensuring that Political Violence Underwriting Guidelines are reviewed and updated at least annually.
- To assist in ensuring that Political Violence business is conducted, processed and administered in accordance with the prevailing applicable policies, procedures and agreed service levels.
- To assist in ensuring that premium entries in Subscribe are reviewed and accurately maintained in accordance with applicable procedures.
- To act in accordance with all regulatory standards and principles at all times.
- To provide information and assistance as needed to ensure that other syndicate staff can carry out their responsibilities including the production of reports for the business planning process.
- To make every reasonable effort to increase own knowledge, skills and expertise in order to:
- Further personal development within the Underwriter role.
- Reach a position where promotion to a more senior role is feasible.
What we’re looking for:
- Good interpersonal and communication skill
- Competent in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Excellent general computer literacy
- Diploma / Degree in any field
- Chartered Insurance Institute
- Working towards the ACII exams
- Able to operate independently with little direction or guidance. Self-reliance, use of initiative- a ‘self-starter’.
- Able to prioritize
- Strong team working approach.
- Strong analytical skills
- Verbal, written and professional presence and ability to communicate at all levels with excellent negotiation skills
- Strong communication/ interpersonal skills including:
- Strong documentation skills
- Excellent communications skills
- Ability to summarize
- Ability to understand problems and issues quickly
- Positive and ‘can do’ approach
- Calm, rational and methodical approach
What we offer
Our people are what make Talbot a market leading syndicate, so we are focused on creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive culture that helps us attract and retain great people. We pride ourselves on helping our people develop and hone their professional skills throughout their careers. Our employees have access to a broad range of best-in-class career development programmes, we run regular training courses and events throughout the year covering both technical and non-technical topics. Charitable giving is an important part of our culture too and we encourage people to give back to causes they care about, supporting them through our matched funding initiative and giving time off for volunteering.